Herbal Treatment for Colitis: The digestive tract is one of the largest and most vital pathways in the body. Everything that is ingested, in both solid and liquid form, passes through this tract where they are acted upon by a complex enzymatic mechanism before they are broken down and eventually absorbed to provide the needed energy for all our body activities.
Another important aspect of this system is the passing out of the by-products of digestion, and this is made possible by the tubular structure at the end of the large intestine known as the colon. This tube is lined with muscles that contract to aid with excretion via the anal opening.
In some cases, a problem arises at this end of the digestive tract and they are complications in passing out waste matter. One of the most commonly experienced issues is colitis.
Colitis is simply the inflammation of the colon (large intestine). It is a condition that is characterized with swellings in the mucosal walls of the colon which may result in severe pains and discomfort when passing out faeces.
Usually, the area surrounding the colon is inhabited by several bacteria that occur naturally and do not cause any harm, but when their population increases which may be due to an infection, they can find their way into the mucosal lining of the colon and this might result in colitis.
They are noticeable signs that signal the onset of colitis, this usually includes diarrhoea, fever, severe abdominal pains, dehydration, and blood in the faeces. Once any of these symptoms are noticed, immediate steps should be taken to treat the condition in order to avoid further complications.
• Infections: In this case, colitis is caused by viruses and bacteria that have been ingested in polluted food or water where they trigger inflammations in the colon. Common bacteria include Shigella, Salmonella, Clostridium, E. coli, and others responsible for food poisoning. Some antibiotics can also trigger an increase in the normal bacteria population present in the colon resulting in a condition known as pseudomembranous colitis.
• Blocked arteries: Just like the arteries in other parts of the body, the arteries in the colon can become clogged due to atherosclerosis and this obstructs the flow of blood causing it to become inflamed.
• Crohn’s disease: This disease causes inflammations in different areas of the digestive tract including the colon.
• Chemical irritants: Certain chemicals, mostly from drugs, can cause irritations in the colon that results in inflammations and colitis.
Colitis can be effectively treated with naturally occurring herbs that will reverse the inflammations and restore the normal functions of the colon. A few of the herbs used for herbal treatment are listed below:
• Turmeric: This spicy herb has been found to be very effective in herbal treatment for colitis, this is mainly due to the presence of curcumin, an active anti-inflammatory agent that heals the colon.
• Boswellia: Found in tree barks, and it’s for herbal treatment for colitis. This natural herb actively inhibits chemicals that produce inflammations in the colon thereby restoring normal functions.
• Psyllium seed and husk: This herb helps to improve gut health and is effective in stopping constipation and enhancing waste removal.
• Ginger: It's a natural anti-bacterial agent which helps to control the bacteria population in the colon, thereby improving normal health.