This article explains the treatment for heartburn and causes. Do you feel burning sensations around your chest area, especially moments after eating a meal? This could be a case of indigestion and may signal a more serious underlying health condition.
This is a condition in which the gastric acid in the stomach is moved back into the oesophagus where it causes a painful burning sensation. In the normal process of digestion, food that is passed through the mouth travels down into the oesophagus by peristaltic movement of the muscles surrounding the oesophagus into the stomach. The food is then broken down by enzymes and gastric acid that is present in the stomach.
Protective cells line the stomach to prevent any inflammatory effect of the acid, but these cells are absent in the oesophagus, so when this acid refluxes back into the oesophagus causes inflammation and may even damage the unprotected lining resulting in the painful burning sensation.
Heartburns are quite common and are often triggered by certain foods and its effect may be mild and temporary in some people, but complications can also occur resulting in serious health conditions such as ulcers and internal bleeding from broken down tissues. Recurrent heartburns can also cause changes in the cells lining the oesophagus resulting in a disease known as Barrett’s oesophagus, a condition that is associated with an increased risk of developing oesophageal cancer.
There are several causes of heartburn; it could be a direct symptom of a reflux disease or exposure to some risk factors. The most common causes include the following:
· GERD: A common cause of heartburn is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) that makes stomach acid to be refluxed back into the oesophagus. This results in pains and a burning sensation as the acid attacks the oesophageal lining.
· Food: Most cases of heartburns are as a result of eating certain foods that tend to increase the secretion of acid in the stomach. Common acidic foods include tomatoes, orange, grapefruit, carbonated drinks and beans. This reaction can also be caused by an allergic food reaction.
· Medications: Certain medications can also trigger gastric acid reflux, leading to heartburns. Some of the drugs that cause this reaction include aspirin, naproxen, buprofen, etc.
· Smoking: Chemicals in cigarettes can have an effect on the lower oesophageal sphincter (LES) a circular muscle that prevents the reflux of food from the stomach to the oesophagus, by causing it to relax it increases the risk of developing heartburns.
· Pregnancy: During pregnancy, the increased volume in the abdomen puts more pressure on the LES and can cause regular episodes of heartburns.
Some effective treatment for heartburns include the following:
· Dietary changes: Avoiding foods that trigger heartburns and eating smaller meals instead of overfilling the stomach can go a long way in ameliorating the condition.
· Avoid smoking and alcohol intake: A healthy lifestyle change that will drastically reduce heartburns is keeping away from smoking and alcohol as this allows the LES to function properly in preventing stomach acid reflux.
· Medications: Taking antacids after meals, especially before going to bed can help reduce the effects of acid reflux. Histamine-blockers can also be prescribed to suppress the action of histamine in stimulating stomach acid secretion.
· Surgery: In complicated cases of heartburns, surgery may be required to stop oesophageal reflux and strengthen the function of the LES.
· Herbal supplements: Another effective treatment for heartburn is the use of herbal supplements after meals to avoid stomach acid reflux. This also has the advantage of repairing damages to the cell lining of the oesophagus and treating underlying health conditions such as GERD.
You can order Gastrifort herbal medicines in the treatment for heartburn, we sell member price to encourage patronage and membership after you have result that our food supplement works.
The price for Gastrifort is N11,780 excluding cost of delivery. We offer prompt delivery of the product using courier services for between N500 and N1,000 within Lagos. Delivery cost to other states is between N1,000 - N2,000 depending on location.
Call us on Mobile: 2348033205456 and Click Here to Send Mail